Tuesday, October 7, 2008

my pee is radioactive.


I bet that headline got you to read this post. My pee really is radioactive though. "Why?" you ask. Well, I had a PET Scan yesterday.

What is a PET Scan? Welllll....a PET scan is a test during which a radioactive glucose substance is injected into the body, then pictures are taken of the brain, or in some cases, the entire body, to see how the body, or brain, metabolizes it.

In epileptic patients, this is done to determine where seizures are coming from in the brain. From www.chm.bris.ac.uk/.../brainimaging.htm, "Blood flow and glucose uptake are measured by PET in order to identify seizure sites in the brain. In 80% of patients there is an increase in blood flow and glucose metabolism during a seizure in the cerebral cortex. However, between seizure there tends to be a lower than normal glucose uptake and blood flow." In simpler terms, the spots where my seizures come from do not metabolize the gluclose at a normal rate, they're called "dead areas" and therefore, do not glow, while the normal areas of my brain do glow, thanks to the radioactive material. Here's a picture to illustrate. It's not my brain, as I won't get my results for a while. But, enjoy nonetheless.

The procedure was pretty fun in comparison to others. The only bad part was they had to stick me 6 times and collapsed 4 veins before finally getting a good one. The tech said people say they have bad veins all of the time, but mine took the cake. They finally got one on my wrist, and this morning, without thinking, I sprayed perfume directly on my little incision...I swore. Sorry. Anyway, they totally injected radioactive goo through my IV!!! It was so cool! It reminded me of the ooze from Ninja Turtles. I was really stoked, cause it was even in a little canister and had a slight green glow to it. It totally looked almost exactly like this:

I know! Diehard Turtles fans, such as Spence, me, and Monkey should be green with envy. Anyway, 30 minutes after injection they put me in a machine just like this:

Don't they look happy? It's not nearly as noisey as an MRI, so I got to sleep lightly through the whole thing. It took an hour I think. You're instructed not to move, and because of all the banging during an MRI, and because I'm very jumpy, I get yelled at a lot. However, this time, I held perfectly still except for when I had a falling dream. I was quite proud.

Afterwards, you are instructed to drink plenty of water and not come in direct contact with your urine, or be around children for 24 hours....because your urine is radioactive!! Cool huh? I told my mom and Spencer if they were mean I'd pee on them. (I would never!) Anyway, I was a little disappointed that it didn't glow in the dark....oh well.

4 comments:

Fisher said...

Oh, I got a chuckle from this post, Chelsi. Jay and I appreciated the green ooze. And I think it's funny that you obviously did a test to see if your pee did glow in the dark. Hehehe.

When I was in the fifth grade, I got a CAT scan because I kept getting dizzy. (It turned out to be nothing.) Anyway, the CAT staff were so frustrated with me because I could not hold still (I was only 10), and they resorted to taping my head to the table. Heh. I've always been proud of that one. ;)

What Reading List are you talking about? I don't think I have any idea how to fix anything like that.

Fisher said...

Ack! I just posted as my husband. Well, it's me, JeriLynn. I'm sure you knew that though.

Goldies said...

Oh, Chelsi I loved that Halloween... good times. I just wanted you to know that I do still consider you one of my good friends. I'm sorry we drifted apart, I know because of me and that crazy time of my life. But just wanted you to know that I care about you even though we're distant! I hope everything goes well with that radioactive pee test, eek.

Julie and KC said...

You are seriously one hilarious chica!! I love your stories.