Monday, October 12, 2009

the consequence of over-thinking

Lori, (Law) you're gonna love this. I hope you still read my blog. Ps. I love you.

I am the classic over-thinker. I blame it on my mom; she taught me how. I over-think everything! My first day of 11th grade I had an anxiety attack and passed out in my cereal bowl. True story. I'd like to share with you another true story.

Once upon a time, my little brother had a best friend named Nate. Nate was not only really, really cute, but he was also a drummer, had good hair, and was the sweetest, funniest guy ever. We "secretly" had crushes on each other. He was my little brother's BFF, but he was only a sophomore when I was a senior, so it wasn't that creepy. Think Bella and Jacob.

Anyway, my senior year I asked Nate to Morp, a girls' choice dance following prom. Brother was still in junior high so it worked out conveniently. Nate said yes and we were excited.

I was excited, but also nervous. Not to go with Nate, because he was so easy to be around and have fun with...but I was nervous for pictures. See, Nate was really cute. I wanted to look really cute in the picture so we could both have a cute picture of us being ridiculously good-looking. I thought about it A LOT. Too much. I don't know why. I'm a photogenic girl, but I was SO nervous about the pictures.

Finally, the moment came. He sat me on his lap and the photographer said, "Smile!" Instead, this happened:


Yeah. Really. I know, right? Wow.

I'll give you a minute to enjoy that. Trust me, there were A LOT of laughs by my family at my expense!

When pictures came out I was beyond horrified. I refused to show Nate, but he eventually convinced me, and after a few mutual giggles, said he still thought I looked hot. He kept saying, "Just imagine your mouth in a smile!" He even wrote me a note after to convince me I wasn't horrifying.

We had a lot of fun at the dance, but afterward we went back to a friend's house and hung out in the back yard. Something horrid was growing in a surrounding field and my allergies went WILD. I couldn't stop sneezing and my eyes were so itchy. My nose was red and swollen, and my eyes were bloodshot, watery, and puffy. I was not pretty. I was miserable and we ended up heading home early to get me some benedryl. I felt so bad about the disaster of the after-dance party, and was near tears (I didn't even know about the pictures yet!) but Nate convinced me that he had a great time and that I was beautiful. I even got a goodnight kiss, followed by a "Don't tell your brother!" Aw Nate, you're such a sweetheart!

Nate is now also married, with a super hot wife. Their wedding was 80's themed and their invites were totally awesome. I was sick for their wedding and was really sad, but I heard it was really radical.

Needless to say, Nate is a one-of-a-kind guy; one that his momma can be proud of.

Nate, you're a favorite. Don't ever change!

8 comments:

mommy princess said...

I have a picture that's pretty bad from the sweetheart dance that I went to with Derek Cooper. It was a horrible day. Not because of Derek he was a sweetheart. Just every bad thing you could possibly think of happened! So by the time I got pictures I looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

Seth and Kara Farnsworth said...

Thank you for thinking of sharing this. I laughed, I'll admit, but because I felt like I could relate. I'm not as cool as you are though, so consequently I don't have as awesome a story to tell. I had no idea you were an overthinker. I just always thought you had everything in a row, your hair was perfect your face your clothes........ahh geez here I go. Seriously, thanks for the boost!

Lori said...

ahahaha. oh high school. thank freakin heavens its over. too bad the over-thinking never seems to stop, eh?

you're great. xoxo

Heidi said...

I am an over-thinker, too! I think way too much, way too deep! This was a cute post I really really like you! Sounds like Spencer got a real catch! That makes me happy :)

The Voorhees Family said...

Chels, you kill me! You really are one of the funniest people I know.

e said...

Okay so I'll admit you look like you are angry that the paparazzi caught you in the revealing position of sitting on your younger brother's BFF lap but guess what? You are still so hot! Serious.

JeriLynn said...

Oh boy, great story. I also dated a sophomore when I was a senior, and not long before the dance I took him to, I chopped my pretty hair off. Imagine a long pixie cut with a duck-butt back and gelled barrell bangs. Yeah, UGLY. Then for our picture, he had this crazy look on his face, and I pulled a matronly pose. I look like I'm holding him back, but I'm very sweet about it. Oh boy, that's an embarassing picture.

You really do look hot in that photo.

xoxoxo

Mr. Senator said...

I love you Princess! You are so ADORABLE!