Thursday, February 25, 2010

what do you want to be when you grow up?

Everything.

A friend recently suggested to me that I start my own business.  I would love to...but how to narrow it down?

I had such a hard time picking a career field.  When I was young I knew I wanted to be a fashion designer and go to FIDM.  Then, after researching, I decided motherhood and fashion designing don't really mix.  Unless your Kimora Lee Whatever.  So, I decided to follow another passion and pursue writing.  Then, when picking an English emphasis, I picked one that would allow me to work from home and incorporate my love for design and art as well.  My Tech Writing major suited me well, perfectly.  But I went through like four different minors: Art, then Creative Writing, then Art again, and finally settling on Instructional Technology. (My classes included Photoshop, Flash, etc.)

I graduated and have written articles and content for a teen rehabilitation center (probably my favorite job) and managed websites for four years.  I like my job, but I feel like something's missing.  I'm pretty sure it's writing, creativity.  If I had my wish I would be the following all at once:
  • Novelist
  • Advice Columnist
  • Professional Blogger
  • Fashion Magazine Editor
  • Cake Decorator
  • Toddler Ballet Instructor
  • Interior Designer
  • Fashion Designer
  • Hat Maker (which I guess fits into Fashion Designer)
  • Wedding Planner/Party Planner
  • Graphic Designer
And I'd paint for fun.   Anyone know a wealthy benefactor who would support me in all of these endeavors?  Until then, I will manage websites.  With my office mate:

 
 

On a side note:  Last night I dreamed that my boss asked Danielle and me to share our menstrual cycles on the office calendar.  He just wanted to be "in the know."  Weird. 

Side note #2:  Notice how I said me, not I?  Let's talk about today's grammar lesson.  When unsure about using I or me, or similar pronouns consider the following helpful tip:  Omit the other person from the sentence.  For example:  Last night I dreamed that my boss asked Danielle and me to share our my menstrual cycles on the office calendar.  It would not make sense if I said:  Last night I dreamed that my boss asked I to share my menstrual cycle on the office calendar.  
Another example is:  Spencer and I went shopping.  Not: Spencer and me went shopping.  Why?  I went shopping.  Not: Me went shopping.  Ta Da.

Side note #3: All adverbs should end in ly.  Example: It was really fun.  Not: It was real fun.

The end.

7 comments:

Kari said...

Thanks for joining me in the fight against grammar stupidity. The I/me thing isn't that hard! The thing I just LOOOOVE is when people put a caption on a picture like the following: Matt and I. Seriously? That's I. That's I in the picture.

Protein Sky said...

I'm not sure all adverbs end in -ly. Of course I could be thinking wrongly. I wrote this kind of fastly.

Sidenote #4: Make sure you check all of you're own grammar when you write a post about grammar. Your bound to make a few mistakes you'reself.

;-)

Us love you guys,

We

Mr. Senator said...

Kari,
You say it... "Tis I."
like,
"Tis I in that picture"

e said...

I submit that this wealthy benefactor maintain you and me in a shared castle, preferably the neuschwanstein.

Heather said...

You have so many talents I am jealous. I wish I was as good at one thing as you are at the whole list.

adamanddanielle said...

I wouldn't be surprised if Blake asked us to combine our menstrual cycle calendars and put it on the shared drive! Jeez Louise!

And don't forget the exception to your grammar trick: When the personal pronoun follows a be verb (like am, is, are, was, were, be, being, et.c.). "Be" always takes the nominative form, so if you're going to be strictly correct, you should say "It is I" when someone asks "who's there?". However there is a difference between "Speaking Grammar" and "Written Grammar" and we mustn't be elitists with the English grammar rules, thus let's just let people say "It's me!" and get away with it. =)

mommy princess said...

I'm singing that song,"If I had a million dollars"
I'd invest in ya babe! Heck I'd invest in us! We could so totaly start a wedding business:)