Friday, April 2, 2010

i am learning to bellydance.


For a number of reasons.  One, it's a great workout.  It gets your heart rate way up there and the next day, your entire core is sore.  Two, it's fun.  Really fun.  And liberating.  I, like almost every other woman I know, have some body confidence issues.  Due to my Latino heritage, I have huge boobs and hips, and a booty.  Great in 1950 but in 2010 the tall, long, rock-hard body of a twelve-year-old boy is in high demand.  Lament.  I'm trying to embrace my curves, my sexuality, and shed a few extra pounds all at the same time.  I think it's working.  You don't see many 12-year-old boy belly dancers.  I'm redefining my mind's version of sexy.

Fit TV has a show called Shimmy.  It teaches you different belly dancing moves and then combines them in a routine.   It's 30 minutes long so I usually do two, or one and then half an hour of Wii Fit yoga.  Fit TV also has a show called Belly Dance with Aubre.  It's an hour long and she breaks it down very well.  I'd suggest completing that workout before Shimmy.  Aubre goes over the fundamentals while Shimmy is more watch and learn.

As said in my previous post, my mother-in-law bought me this awesome belly dancing kit.


If you're going to belly dance, you need a hip scarf.  The jingle of the coins really helps you get into it and increases the whole "I feel sexy" factor.  Hip scarfs are worn over yoga pants for your workout.  I bought this one here for ten dollars!  I love it!  It's so pretty and looks a lot more expensive than $10.  It makes me want to workout just so I can wear it.


They also have beautiful complete costumes with coin bras, veils, and harem pants.  Definitely something to work up to.

5 comments:

e said...

honestly, being able to wear that just might make make me actually want to workout.

fantastic!

JeriLynn said...

I've always wanted to learn to belly dance. I think I'll take it up after Mac's born. My core definitely needs some work.

Natalie | The Bobby Pin said...

You are woman. Hear you roar!

I want video!

Goldies said...

I love it! That pink hip scarf is awesome. I wanna say shake your booty, but that doesn't really fit, nor does shake your belly, it doesn't seem right. So anyway, keep it up though. I'm glad you had a happy birthday! And I like your hair color by the way. Tell Spencer that his song sounds Lucero-ish, good work.

Heidi said...

Ok does it really work out your waste that good? I wanna try!!!!