Tuesday, August 3, 2010

thai me up

I don't know about you, but sometimes I get in dinner ruts.  I think Spencer would be blissfully happy to eat only the meals in our 14 recipe rotation for the rest of our lives.  He's easy.  But me...sometimes I just HATE everything in that rotation and I need something to mix it up.  This can prove to be challenging because I'm pretty sure I've pushed Spencer's palate to its limit several times.  (Like the butternut squash white lasagna of 2008.)

I got this recipe for Grilled Chicken Kabobs with Thai Peanut Sauce in my inbox (From Pillsbury Cooking for Two) and went with it.  In Oregon there was the BEST Thai place that we would eat at alllllll the time.  Their Pad Thai was indescribable.  So, missing Thai food and my husband still being a little wary to try the place by our apartment, I decided to spark his interest.    I found another recipe to go with it on the Dole bananas site, Sticky Rice with Raspberries and Mangos.  They both turned out fabulously, and now, we have another dish in the rotation.  Hooray!

And now the recipes for those who don't want to click.

Grilled Chicken Kabobs with Thai Peanut Sauce
Ingredients:

Sauce
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce

Kabobs
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 lb), each cut lengthwise into 4 strips
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 24 pieces
Cooking spray

Directions:
1. Heat gas or charcoal grill. In 2-quart saucepan, mix peanut butter, soy sauce and vinegar until smooth. Stir in sugar and pepper sauce. Cook over medium-high heat about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Place 3/4 cup sauce in small serving bowl to use as dipping sauce.
2. On each of 6 (12-inch) metal skewers, thread 4 chicken strips and 4 bell pepper pieces alternately, leaving about 1/4-inch space between each piece. Brush chicken and bell pepper with some of the remaining sauce.
3. Spray kabobs with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Place kabobs on grill over medium heat. Cover grill; cook 5 minutes. Turn kabobs and brush with sauce; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Discard any remaining sauce used for brushing kabobs during grilling. Serve kabobs with reserved sauce for dipping.

NUTRITION INFORMATION:
1 Serving: Calories 400 (Calories from Fat 160); Total Fat 17g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 95mg; Sodium 900mg; Total Carbohydrate 19g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 15g); Protein 41g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 6 Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 1
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Kitchen Tips:
White vinegar diluted with a little water can be used instead of the rice vinegar.
Make the sauce ahead and gently reheated when needed. Or use purchased peanut sauce; for best results, choose a thick peanut sauce.

Chelsi's Tips:
I couldn't find red pepper sauce so I just purchased a ready made peanut sauce.  I bought A Taste of Thai Peanut Satay Sauce, available in the international foods aisle.  PLEASE remember to put a little sauce in a separate bowl for brushing on the raw chicken to avoid cross contamination.  xo, The Salmonellaphobe.

Sticky Rice with Mango and Raspberries
Prep Time: 20 min.
Chill Time: 8hr.
Cook Time: 15 min.
Serves: 4
Ingredients: 9

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups short grain rice
2 medium, ripe DOLE® Bananas, divided
1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 mango, cut into cubes
Fresh raspberries or strawberries (optional)
Toasted sesame seeds or chopped peanuts (optional)

Directions:
1. Place rice in medium bowl. Pour in enough cold water to cover 1-inch over rice. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Drain rice. Rinse and drain rice several times with water.
2. Combine drained rice and 1-3/4 cups water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil; stir rice occasionally. Cover; reduce heat and cook 10 minutes more or until liquid is absorbed.
3. Mash 1 banana in large bowl. Add coconut milk, sugar, nutmeg and salt, if desired; stir until sugar dissolves completely. Stir in warm rice; let stand 10 minutes.
4. Spoon into serving bowls and serve warm or at room temperature. Slice remaining banana. Arrange banana, mango and raspberries, if desired, on top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or peanuts, if desired.

Benefits:
Cholesterol Free, Rich in Folate, Rich in Vitamin C

Chelsi's Tips:
I bought Jasmine Rice, also from A Taste of Thai, available in the International aisle.  Just follow the directions on the box.  It's like minute rice but add ten minutes.  ;) Then mix in the other stuff.  We left out the raspberries, since I'm not a fan.  In the future, I will make this the night before, then let it set up overnight in the fridge.  It was more soupy than sticky, but the next day it was perfect.  It made a lot, so I'm freezing it for next time.


Voila!

4 comments:

Kari said...

I initially read kaboobs. You should write it like that. That's more your style.

mommy princess said...

I'm in such a food rutt! That looks heavenly. And you know what? I think my kids would actually like it.

Lori said...

ooooo yummy!!!

Mr. Senator said...

You left out my superior mango cutting skills!!! Check out that beautifully scored mango.

ps. I cut the mango because Chels isn't allowed to play with knives... lets be honest she gets hurt walking by herself. Do you think I would let her handle sharp objects? I love ya Princess!