Thursday, October 7, 2010

not meant for human consumption?

The Bobby Pin: Not meant for human consumption: "A new study shows that taking birth control makes you act like a different person. Except worse, it doesn't just make you act like a different person, it actually alters your brain, and is similar to a brain on steroids, according to Scientific American..."

My friend Natalie posted this study on the effects of birth control.  Talk about scary.  I have enough problems with my brain as it is.  When we got married, I opted for a copper IUD since my medications made hormonal BC ineffective.  A year and several trips to the ER later, it came out.  Husby took control in that department.  We were just talking last night about this subject.  I said to him, "Why aren't all men like you?"  They should be.  We were discussing why, in our society, when families are complete, women are typically the ones who are sterilized instead of men.  Getting your tubes tied is so much more invasive than a vasectomy.  A vasectomy is an outpatient procedure and only uses local anesthetic.  And yes, men, I realize that getting your balls cut into is scary.  But it's a cut that is about 1/4 of an inch.  Calm down.  We push things the size of watermelons out of our lady parts, and once a month, our uterus falls out.

And what about before your family is complete?  There are many options to consider besides hormonal BC.  We use a combo of condoms, withdrawl, and paying attention to when I'm fertile and avoiding sex during that time.  I track my cycle at mymonthlycycles.com.  It's free and it tells you when to expect your next period, when your fertile, etc.  You can even track your PMS symptoms.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I am all about birth control in theory.  Being a woman who can't conceive, I think it's beyond important to practice safe sex and family planning.  You should do all that you can to avoid pregnancy until you are ready, willing, and able to have a child and care for it for the next 70 years.  I'm just saying, if your BC is making you feel like a completely different woman, take control of your fertility!  Talk to your doctor, and your husband, about your options.

For those of you who are totally confused:  Physically, I can become pregnant.  It would just be very unsafe for me to do so.

And for a laugh, watch one of my fave SNL skits:

No comments: