Thursday, December 2, 2010

christmas for lovers

Christmas used to be hard for me.  I used to listen to Mariah Carey's I Miss You Most at Christmas Time and wonder where Colby was,  if he had food to eat or was freezing cold...where he would be on Christmas.  Then there were those couple of years where Ian would call me and not tell me he still loved me.   ;)  Then 2005 came and everything changed. 



I love Christmas.  I love our shopping dates.  I love spoiling each other.  I love spoiling our nieces.  I love baking.  I love our discussions of the Savior.  I love decorating our house while listening to Christmas music.  I beg to do it before Thanksgiving.  This year, while my parents took me home to their house to recoup, Spencer stayed behind and took down our Fall decor, cleaned the house, and put up our tree to cheer me up when I got home.  He also made all of my dishes that I volunteered to bring to Thanksgiving.  Naturally, my family said "Don't worry about it," but he knows me.  He knew that I would anyway.  And he knew how bad I wanted to make those pumpkin bites.  So, he made everything.  I simply formed the crusts.  They turned out so well...I even got a 1 am text from my brother-in-law that said he was still up eating the last of them.

Anyway, the day after Thanksgiving, we turned on our Christmas music and decorated all day long.  It turned out pretty fantastic.  During decorating, What are you Doing New Year's Eve? by Ella Fitsgerald came on.  It's on our Christmas for Lovers album.  Clay Aiken does a great rendition too.  We both stopped what we were working on and had an impromptu slow dance in the kitchen.  It's our song.  It would've been our first dance song...but that would be weird in June.  We reminisced about that fateful New Year's Eve Night in 2005 when everything changed.  That was my first and only New Year's Eve kiss and it was perfect.  The rain, the fireworks, the ignition of something eternal.  The beginning. 

And now, I do still wonder if Colby is safe and warm, but no tears are shed.  I don't cry when I hear Mariah.  I actually smile a little.  And now, Christmas can't come fast enough and is over too soon.  I wish it lasted three months long.  The holiday celebrating the birth of our Savior is so magical, and for me, it is even more magical because I can celebrate what Christ represents: Love. 

I love the magic that the holidays offer, but then again, every day is magical with my sweetheart. 

So, When the bells all ring and the horns all blow
And the couples we know are fondly kissing.
Will I be with you or will I be among the missing?

Maybe it's much too early in the game
Ooh, but I thought I'd ask you just the same
What are you doing New Year's
New Year's eve?

Wonder whose arms will hold you good and tight
When it's exactly twelve o'clock that night
Welcoming in the New Year
New Year's eve

Maybe I'm crazy to suppose
I'd ever be the one you chose
Out of a thousand invitations
You received

Ooh, but in case I stand one little chance
Here comes the jackpot question in advance:
What are you doing New Year's
New Year's Eve?

4 comments:

amelia said...

awww. this makes me wish so hard for something amazing like what you've got.

Kari said...

OK I better start decorating. Ugh. :)

Seantae Jackson said...

You're amazing.

Dana said...

You are seriously so cute :P