Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Summer Lovin' with Lavender


Aloha Chelsi & Spencer blog readers! I am so happy to be partnered up this week with Chelsi for the 9th Annual 20 Something Bloggers Blog Swap.

This summer for me has been filled with surfing, gardening, cooking, and lots of eating. Being a Hawaii resident, summer doesn't have quite the same feel as it did when growing up in Oregon. What I miss the most about mainland summers were those long days when the sun didn't set until 10pm. We don't have daylight savings here, so daylight tops out at 7pm. Enjoy those summer nights while you can! 

Since I spent most of my summer in the kitchen and garden I developed a healthy obsession this season for lavender. That beautiful purple flower seems to be popping up everywhere. And it's lavender harvesting time, too. 

Lavender crepe cakes, lavender infused vodka, lavender walnut scones, lavender ice cream, lavender lemonade, honey lavender creme brulee, and lavender bouquets are all filling my summer dreams. 
Check out my Lavender Love board on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gedwards/lavender-love/

And have one of these for me: 

Last-of-Summer Lavender Lemonade Cocktail
Infuse a fifth of your favorite vodka with 2 big sprigs of lavender by placing the lavender in the bottle and leaving it be for a week. Strain. 
To 1.5 oz of vodka, add the juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1 TBL simple syrup. Pour over ice and add water until glass is full (use a cocktail glass that holds about 5 oz.)
Stir. 
Add a sprig of lavender for garnish. 
Sip away.
Reflect on your summer. 
Relax under the soothing, warming purple glow. 

Thanks for reading! Come check me out over at http://saturdayswithmaggy.blogspot.com/

Gwen

1 comment:

Gwen Edwards said...

Thanks again for blog swapping Chelsi!