Monday, November 21, 2011

hair pins

I like having long hair because you can do soooooo many different things with it.  It's so versatile and if you're lazy, you can do beautiful things in a hurry.  I try not to use heat on my hair for a number of reasons: one, it's bad for it; two, my hair doesn't hold curl from heat, three, I burn myself way too much; and four, it takes too long!  I'm always looking for new, fast and easy ways to do my hair.  Some of my most favorite things I have learned on pinterest are just that.  It's become sort of a project between my friend Kari and me.  We've been texting each other hair dos for weeks now.   Last Sunday, I may or may not have inconspicuously snapped a picture of a girl's hair sitting in front of me in Sunday School and sent it to her for observation.  Okay, I totes did.  I didn't figure out how to do her hairdo, but I'd like to share with you the ones that I have tried.
  1. The faux french braid. I did this one a lot this summer. The video is a little annoying, but whatevs. I combine it with this one:
     
  2. I usually braid mine down the side, but as you can see in the last picture, Kari's looks cute with a messy bun.
    top view
    side view
    side view
    Kari view
  3. The messy "French Bun."  I've worn this a few times, but oddly, there are no pictures of me in it.  Lame.  Here's the link, though: http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2009/11/messy-french-bun.html
  4. The Twisty Bun.  I wore this to church today.  I've also worn it to work, and a couple of baby showers.  Super easy!  http://blueribbonstudio.blogspot.com/2011/04/hair-tutorialvia-michaela-noelle.html  And some pictures:
    Self-taken photos in the mirror=awkward.

    Silly face because I felt so awkward.

  5. Fishtail Braid.  I know some of you can't believe I didn't know how to do this...but I didn't.  Cause it looks so intricate and hard!  It's not.  Here's a vid:


    And here's me!
  6. The Sock Bun and the Sock Bun Curls.
    The sock bun is apparently, no secret, but it was to me. I love me some buns, so a big, voluminous bun? Yes please! It totally works. This is a new go to for glamour. Oddly enough...I don't think I have pictures of me wearing one. I, of course, do one big bun on the top of my head like this:
    Apparently, it is supposed to curl your hair too.  The link to that tutorial is at the end of the video.  I've done it three times and it hasn't worked yet.  I wonder if I have too long or too much hair.  I won't complain.
  7. Taylor Swift Curls.  I was devastated that this didn't work.  I may try it again.  Here's the video:
  8. The Gibson Tuck.  I can't do this to save my life.  I tried today and made us 20 minutes late for church.  The hair tie makes my hair on the sides fall out, which is weird...you'd think it'd have the opposite effect.  It's easier for me to do it sans hair tie, but I can't get both sides looking even yet.  If any of you try it, let me know! The link is:  http://saralynnpaige.com/blog/style/simple-gibson-tuck/
  9. And now, my favorite.  I almost hate telling this one.  Usually, when I want to curl my hair I put it up in sponge rollers and sleep on it.  It takes about 30 minutes to do my whole head though, and since I have to do it at night, sometimes it can be a hassle.  It looks like this:


I always get a lot of compliments, but like I said, sometimes at 11 at night I don't want to put my hair in rollers.  Enter sock curls.  I get a looser version of this curl in about 1/4 the time.  It it my absolute favorite new way to wear my hair.  I wear it a lot when I want to curl my hair but have low energy.  Here are some pics:


not the best "front" day but still pretty in the back


It is so easy and it works EVERY time!  Here is the video:



You're welcome, America! Don't forget to read my All About Epilepsy post from last year.  It's epilepsy awareness month but I couldn't think of anything new to write about except for how Obama care will screw me over...and I just don't want to get into it.

Stay tuned for a very exciting post coming soon though...

5 comments:

Coul & Kelse Rich said...

Chelsi I LOVE your hair and always have! You are stunning even in your "awkward" photos. Thanks for the last one I will be using that one from now on to curl my hair. AWESOME!

theprettysmitties said...

Awesome! I love that you did this! I have been wanting to steal your ideas, thanks for making it easy! Haha. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right??

Kari said...

First of all, the back of my head is famous!!!

I'm going to definitely have to try some of these. I liked the twisty bun, but I doubt it would look good with my hair since I barely have any. I still can't believe how long your hair is. And thick! It totally looks like what people strive for when they get extensions.

Pierce + Stacy Thiot said...

Can I just say... I LOVE THIS POST! And I already tried one braid and am going to try the sock curl hair later this week.... but I have medium/short hair, so, it might not work as well.

Awesome! Loved this! :)

Ruby in the Rough said...

I love your hair, too! Thanks for sharing your much-coveted secrets. I just got a new haircut I love, which makes my kinda-wavy hair easier to do. But did you know I cannot braid?! My older brother can (apparently), but I cannot! I'm waiting for my 5-year-old to be able to sit still long enough.

BTW, sadly we won't be coming down for the holidays. At least Jay's not going to Uganda.

You look AWESOME!! Thanks for the inspiration!