Tuesday, May 15, 2012

dream guy

I found this quote a while ago, "You know you are in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."  When I was younger I used to lull myself to sleep by fantasizing about my boyfriend and me.  Just little things, like him standing up to a bully for me in school, or sending me roses on Valentines Day, or telling me he loved me for the first time. Then as I got older they were things like taking me home with him for Christmas, proposing to me, professing my talent to a mean professor I had, or bragging about me to his friends about me and me overhearing.

One of them happened on my first official date with Spencer.  We were on a group date but we were so exhausted from the new year's festivities and we both fell asleep in each other's arms while watching So I Married an Axe Murder.  We were out cold and didn't even wake up when everyone left, then covered us with blankets.  That was the fantasy I had the most often, that someday I would feel so loved, so happy, and so secure in someone's arms that I would have no trouble falling into a deep sleep...even in public and in uncomfortable clothes.  The next day, another one occurred as he and his friend talked about me for an hour and a half.  I didn't overhear, but he told me everything.  :)

Then there was the one that happened when he told me he loved me.  We were laying in my bed with the canopy overhead, kissing.  He pulled back and took my face in his hands and said, "I have to tell you something because I can't not anymore.  I know you're not ready to say it back yet and that's ok.  I just have to tell you," then he paused and looked at me like I'd been dreaming of being looked at for my entire life and said, "I love you."  I will never forget that moment.

But now, there are so many moments that it's hard to keep track.  Every single day of my life is a dream come true, thanks to him.  I love him more than I'd ever dreamed I could love anyone.  And tomorrow, when he wakes up from his dreaming, I hope he finds reality better than his dreams and has the happiest birthday he's ever dreamed of.  Because he deserves it.  Happy Birthday, Dream Guy.

1 comment:

amelia c said...

oh that is the sweetest and awesomest thing i have read in a long time. :)