Friday, April 5, 2013

he changed my mind

When I was younger I could not understand two things: how people could forget how old they were, and how people could not be excited for their birthday.  I understand both of those now.  My family always made birthdays a big deal and it was a day, or week, for celebration.  But every year since I turned 25 has been increasingly difficult.  I just want a baby.  I just want to be healthy.  I was thinking earlier tonight about this picture I have of me and my grandparents in front of the hospital after I was diagnosed with epilepsy.  I'm all smiles, but them, not so much.  I had no idea what I was in for.  I'm getting better, but I want it to go faster...so I can have a family...before 30.  So needless to say, I was not excited about my birthday.

I stayed up the Friday night before, in the bathtub, reading till 6 am.  (Yep, you read that right.) I lost all track of time.  So, later that day I woke up in the very late afternoon.  Spencer woke me up with a gift and I was ornery because, well, it wasn't my birthday yet and I don't like to be woken up.  I cheered right up when it was a Ben and Jerry's cookbook for homemade ice cream.   Then he lead me down stairs and I couldn't believe my eyes.  He'd set up an entire party all by himself.  An ice cream party!  He made me a cake and cupcakes (that everyone thought were ice cream cones) all by himself.  I had no idea he was paying so much attention as my sous chef!  He made labels for the cups with a little logo that said, "Chelsi's Ice Cream," he bought the cutest ice cream bowls and spoons for the toppings, and he made a chalkboard insert for our cabinet that had a menu for "Chelsi's Ice Cream Shop," and he set it up so adorably all by himself.  I wish I had more pictures but I was so overwhelmed I forgot to take any, so the only ones I have are from Dad's cell.


He told me to eat breakfast fast and get ready because I was expecting a lot of company.  I was!  So many people came and I was completely overwhelmed that so many people came just to make my day. They even brought gifts!  I was completely spoiled.  I got a few gift cards, a lovely wall hanging to hang my niece's artwork on, a cute keyholder, a new purse, a scarf, like 5 books, some earrings, and a Kindle Paperwhite that I am OBSESSED with just to name a few things!  I don't think I can put into words how special I felt by the company that came.  I have really great friends and it meant SO much to me and just when I thought that was it, more surprise friends kept coming, as did the squeals.







I loved the party so much that I wanted to have an encore the next weekend.  Who wishes they were married to my husband?  He changed my mind about being 29.  He changes my mind about a lot of things.  I kinda love him.

4 comments:

Kari said...

I'm so glad you had a good birthday. You deserve it! Good job, Spencer. You're a great husband.

Elsie Boyer said...

I'm so glad I was able to be there! It was awesome to see you both. Love your faces.

Seantae Jackson said...

I'm soooo sad I couldn't come. Poor baby Kayden was soooo sick and the doctor told me we weren't allowed to go out. I hope you do do an encore!

Ruby in the Rough said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Spencer is so good to send me an invitation, even though I'm hundreds of miles away.

I totally get what you mean about almost being 30. It's freaking me out; I'm trying to accept it with good grace. Yowza.