Friday, May 6, 2016

to jade on birthmother's day

What do you say to the woman who made you a mother? Who made you whole? Who gave your life purpose? Who healed you when you were broken? Who broke her heart in half and gave one half to you? Thank you? There are no words profound enough that express the enormity of my love for and gratitude to you. I love you with a ferocity that I don't have for anyone else. My love for you is its own. 
When I look at my daughter, I see your beautiful eyes and I see my love for you. I love your eyes, I love your pretty hair, your smile, and that when you giggle your nose scrunches up a bit. I love your strength, your wisdom, your selflessness. I love how I've literally never heard you say a bad word about anyone. Ever. I want to be like that. I love your style and shopping with you. I love our mutual love for makeup and how we are perfectly matched because we are both always an hour late. I love how you love your family. I love your loyalty. I love how you love Jonah and how you love Avaya. I really love you. 
I know today your heart is hurting and heavy. I know you miss our baby girl today. I remember all those mother's days missing her too. We flop places a lot, don't we? There's pain and worry and loss that we've each taken from each other. Truly two halves. Thank you for half of your heart, my sacred vessel. I love you. Happy Birthmother's Day. 


No comments: